Kids and Democracy?
I am still trying to work out what I think of it - it shows an eight year old speaking about 'Her points of view of O'Reilly".
http://youtube.com/watch?v=k8x14cLGh5o
My gut reaction to this video was a feeling,particuarly at first, that this was a child reading a script, written by an adult and used in order to bring across the adults point of view. There is no doubt that the video is powerful in conveying a point of view - and it is particuarly potent coming from a child. But this politicisation of children makes me uneasy. At first the video gave me the uncomfortable feeling, that rather like those children that are taken to stand outside of abortion clinics with signs round their necks with feutesus and 'don't murder your baby', there is a sense of exploitation that underlies political views coming 'from children'.
However as the video goes on I started to really think about how amazing it is that we really never ask children about anything that we see as important - partly because we set the agenda about what is and isn't important. When they do emerge in the public space we surround them with a sense of 'innocence' or use them as pleas for help and protection as opposed to individuals with reflections and opinions about the world they live in. Why is it that a child talking 'politics' is seen as simply mimicing their parents/guardians point of view? And how might we incorporate these voices, which are surely some of the least heard in public life?
My dear Mina is researching how the participation of children in the NGO world might be attempted and how it is being done right now - but I for one find it difficult to get over so many of the cultural taboos I have surrounding children and whether and how they can effectively participate in 'democracy' and day to day decisions made in their communitites about their lives. Watching this video highlighted a lot of those for me - although the idea of a 'true' or 'original' voice or opinion of someone is always somewhat ridiculous, with children it seems particuary difficult to see how we might adapt our world to incorporate their views, and how we can tell that what they are saying is reflective of them or reflective of their family and upbringing - though I suppose the same can be said for any grown up with equal validity.
All I know is that as I watched that video I couldn't make up my mind whether to praise the very sensible idea that we should listen to our kids opinions (and really their opinions - not what we say they want or need, or is best for them - because 'we know best'), or follow that uneasiness I had of seeing an eight year old expressing strong political views. Is that simply my own prejudice of what an eight year old should be and talk about, or is that just the uncomfortableness of feeling that she was reading from a script, or a set of opinions she was repeating from adults around her, without the more developed critical, analytical and experiential thinking that adults are supposed to have guiding and impacting her words? she wasbeing used in otherwords as a 'mouthpiece'for someone else's message? I imagine it was a combination of them all.

3 Comments:
Wow. I found this video extremely disturbing. Like you, I am conflicted on this issue. I do think that in some cases, children can be told things in age-aproppriate ways rather than being disregarded entirely or told that they can't understand. At the same time, I think that it would be problematic to be incorporating the thoughts of children as a way of directing social policy. I was an extremely mature and self-aware child, though at the age of 8, I'm not sure if I would have been able to contribute much to the political discourse. Adults for the most part don't even pay attention or know much about our world. Children know far less, and I'm unsure they would really be able to conceptualize fully the challenges of our world.
It was clear to me in watching this video that the child was merely parroting whoever it was that taught her this left wing agenda. In this way, children are not thinking for themselves, not even in the somewhat limited conception of which they are capable. Children should be taught the skills in order to be able to rationally evaluate arguments in order to come to their own conclusions, or, if that is not possible, at the very least in order to teach them so in the future they will have the skills to draw conclusions based on rationality and logic rather than the impassioned ranting of an ill informed population. It reminded me of the two girls who record music heavily influenced by the Nazi agenda of their parents. Two girls have been turned into white supremacists by parents who forced their agenda on them. They didn't really have a choice. Hatred is all they knew.
I think we underestimate the intelligence and the resilience of our children, and at the same time, there must be a balance formed.
I think a lot of this stems from the fact that so much of our population is incredibly uninformed. Three quarters of the American population could name two of the Seven Dwarfs, while only a quarter could name two Supreme Court justices! This is outrageous. (I can name 8 by the way--Alito, Roberts, Ginsburg, Kennedy, Scalia, Thomas, Stevens, Breyer. The ninth I had to look up ;) (Souter). Three quarters of the population could identify the Three Stooges, while only 42% could name the three branches of government: legislative, executive, judicial. Outrageous!
I think this whole idea of democracy is good in theory, though we need to find a way to make it work better. I'm not really sure that the one man, one vote system works. The person who goes into a voting booth and picks randomly from a list of candidates has the same weight as the person who has spent hours carefully considering issues. The ignorant person has as much influence in our society as the learned and the well-informed. This does not work.
Before we start getting children involved in the political discourse, we need to have an adult population that is well-informed and engaged, not polarizing, such as what was displayed in this video, or apathetic, which represents the majority of Americans. Children will never be involved in the political process if they don't have role models to lead the way.
I really want to comment on this... though i also really really need to get some sleep. fraid it'll have to be another day, but thanks so much for putting it up! what a great topic to get riled about. everyone has such different views on what childhood is or should be or what a child is capable of.....
xxx
xxxxxxxxx
well i think thay you should be more careful with your personal cleaning.... (joke) it is wonderful that you are living very fast and having at the same time to think and write. i am a little jealous because i am loosing inspiration to write, how do you do it becky? i wish i could be like you! even using a hair product instead of a real desodorant gives you a lot and a lot of ideas to write? tell me your secret please. Love, Luz
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home