Working for a newspaper, or unlearning what I thought I knew
Writing has become a thing I think a lot more about. It's become something that I re-draft and deliberate and add facts and cut out and rethink. I've only been at the paper a month so far. A month isn't really long enough to have established anything very much. But it's making me ponder the art of writing. And in so doing, it's also made me lose a lot of the unfettered joy of writing that my blog always seemed to be. It's made me think about the hook that is needed to absorb the reader, the repetitions in my phrases, the clumsiness of my syntax. Maybe we have to unlearn everything in order to become truly good at anything. Strip away all those bad habits and learn over. But it's kind of like losing an old friend.
Because most of all it's made me start judging. I look at a piece of writing and I rate it. I read anything that I've written, and immediately want to un-write it, for it's romantacism, for its indulgence, for its lack of information, for its excess of information. And I've started thinking about the reader. Not, as the benign force I imagine all you lot to be; forgiving of my sentences that twirl round in endless circles, spiralling off topic and through a range of random thoughts before grounding unsteadily to an exhuastion fueled standstill on the far side of no conclusion. I picture readers as continually ready to flip the page, move on to the next throwaway article of the paper. I attribute them with no prior knowledge of my topic. I imagine that they are not very good at reading sentences longer than two lines. I SPELL OUT every THING... Yorkshire means Britain, I will say. A trilogy means THREE. I rack my brains for stupid plays on words, or cliches - because nothing works better in a headline.
I've also taken to salivating over the New York Times or The Guardian. My eyes grow wide over The New Yorker and I grumble jealously over Da Berg's quick witted, compact english usage.
Feature articles have to begin and explode and go somewhere. They have to be informative, and can't use "I" and need to be quirky and sparkling. One also should be overwhelmingly, depressingly informed. But somehow names slip through my fingers, along with the capitals of countries or the date India gained independence, or who Britney Spears is married to.
So I'm not sure I really have what it takes for journalism. Or atleast, I've recognised what a technique it is - and how long it is going to take to learn.
The question then becomes - Should one stick to what one is "naturally" good at? (whatever that is... it's really not something I have ever really found an answer to) Or is "natural" talent a misconception? Is it all about the determination to do it more than the skill itself? (that old 1% genius, 99% sweat).
Answers on a postcard to be sent to Kichijoji, Tokyo onegaishimasu.

2 Comments:
Becky,
Natural talent does exist, however, it is not synonymous with 'lack of effort'. You must work hard to learn and master a new skill. Once it is acquired, an outsider will perceive that you possess a natural talent or an affinity for something, with no regard for the effort that you may have invested to get you that far. In time, you will possess a natural talent for journalism, following your dreams and desires may take hard work at first but the rewards are plentiful.
Sunshine and smiles from Somalia Sarah x
Last entry: 12th December
Date today: almost the 17th.
No entry for 5 days!
Hmmm..... should I get worried?
I sent something today to "Kichijoji, Tokyo onegaishimasu"... will that arrive? and where is that last town, the one with the long name... is it like the governorate or something...?
(-;
Don't worry, from all the Japanese words I've forgotten, this is not one of them. In fact, I think when i hear it, I hear it in your voice and see the expression on your face when you say it... maybe it could be called the "Becky Japan smile" or just the "Becky polite smile", although it comes with that slight, intuitive bow of the head, which does make it the former rather than the latter.
On a different note and maybe not quite the right place to make it, but now that I'm typing, I might as well, and also since it is your fault that I now prefer to listen to the radio then to do my work: if you haven't yet, you have to listen to last week's episode of "This American Life", called "in the middle of Nowhere". It's possibly one of the most amazing stories I have EVER heard... about a random Micronesian island called Nauru... a place too cool for James Bond, believe me.
xx
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home