9 things I've noticed
Glaringly self indulgent I'm afraid, but for the sake of remembering how pessimism is born in totalitarian regimes --
1. When I speak with Burmese in Thailand I lower my voice.
2. When I mention "the lady" I find it difficult to say her full name because I'm scared someone is listening.
3. I get defensive and angry when tourists tell me that "I didn't expect this country to be so nice.. and calm."
4. I am sarcastic beyond belief about government.
5. I don't feel I have anything to say when people ask me about the "commercialization of media" or "the crisis of democracy in the UK" or give me lectures on how I should write more about the Millennium Development Goals- how can we have a discussion about these things when basic freedom of speech and individual freedoms are not guaranteed here?
6. I lose my temper every single Saturday night when before publication the press scrutiny board returns our newspaper with red pen marks through the most interesting and important news of the week.
7. The last time I cried was over an article in the Nepali Times about a journalist hacked to death in January for reporting on land seizure.
8. I envy Chinese journalists their freedom.
9. Deep down I cannot fathom how things are ever going to change for the better.

2 Comments:
HI, THIS IS LUZ TRUJILLO. IT SEEMS THAT THE ONLY WAY TO CONTACT YOU IS BY YOUR BLOG, WHICH BY THE WAY, IS REALLY INTERESTING BECAUSE I DIDN'T KNOW YOU WERE WORKING IN THAILAND! I GUESS YOU ARE A JOURNALIST OR A REPORTER THERE... I SENT YOU AN E MAIL FOR CHRISTMAS BUT YOU DIDN'T RESPOND IT AND IT BROKE MY HEART. I GUESS THAT MY LIFE ISN'T AS EXCITING AS YOUR LIFE, BUT I AM STILL YOUR FRIEND IF THAT STILL ACCOUNTS... BLESSINGS, LUZ.
WOW. what an outpour of stories. I haven't been here for a while. Always great to return.
It's funny... reading your stories, I yearn for a bit of colonial chique, of which you seem to have abundance. Amman is so utterly modern, it'd disgusting. No old gentlemens' clubs, five star hotels, brothels, casinos, nothing. This town just missed the colonial era by a decade. Pity.
It's also funny, that for me, having become quite settled here, your world sounds exotic, misty, exciting, green and dripping with morning dew, while for you maybe the opposite might be true... as much as I might yearn for colonial bars, you might yearn for the call for prayer...
I send you a breeze of my world and thank you for a breeze of yours.
Much love from Amman,
xx
P.S.: You never answer my love letters either... Shame on you!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home