5 Things To Know About Me
1) I write this with my 3 month old nursing at my breast. It’s 1.30 in the morning and, as my partner is in London refurbishing our home, I’m down here in Wales with my parents. Motherhood is beautiful, but separation from Da Berg is hard.
2) I’m a recovering aid/development worker. I’ve spent twelve years and most of my adulthood working abroad - Myanmar, Rwanda, Japan, North America, Tunisia, the Caucasus, Bangladesh, Guatemala, Ecuador. These places have etched themselves into my being. A motorbike accident two years ago forced me to quit the job I loved in Kigali and return to the UK to figure out a new direction. I’m still in the process of doing that and I still don’t know who “Becky in Britain” really is. Integrating these separate pieces has been a theme the last years.
3) I love/d my job. I work in media development programs. I’m on maternity leave now. My current contract finishes at the close of June. It was more of a management and project management role than I’ve had before. It lacked the creativity that nourishes my soul. But, increasingly I feel boxed into those roles. Another similar role has come up this week. Based in London, working on Eastern Europe and Central Asia. It’s a permanent position and offers stability, but I just don’t know whether that’s what I want. My office is encouraging me to apply and the deadline is this Thursday. I spend a lot of time trying to keep doors open.
4) I’m a people pleaser from a long line of people pleasers.
5) I believe in the power of art and storytelling to change lives. This is what I want to work towards.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home