Beckilina

Monday, December 17, 2007

Christmas, Sleep and Bangladesh

In the intense relationship I have with Japan new avenues are opening. Despite the ups and the downs I am in overflowing and overwhelming love.

Today Kichijoji makes me smile, along with Chuo sen, my morning coffee -and my ability to fall out of bed and onto the train in twenty minutes flat. It is familiar and homely, even as it surprises and challenges. As I walked home today, through the garish Christmas lights I thought how at home I feel here - even as I sense my strangeness. Today was my first interview in Japanese ! But also today is my second to last day at work before the holidays ! After a "christmas afternoon' yesterday - complete with stollen and playing with my friend's adorable three year old half german, half Japanese kid, I couldn't help but sense some christmas spirit.

If I could find a job here .... I kept thinking.... if if if... why shouldn't I stay? I am more at home here than anywhere else.

In light of my new mood I want to add that last night was my first 8 hour sleep for about two weeks, and that quite possibly today's exulted mood is directly related. A mental note to self - SLEEP IS IMPORTANT. AND NOT MATTER HOW ADDICTIVE WORLD SERVICE RADIO... SLEEP SHOULD BE A PRIORITY.

Today I also had confirmation of my visa ! And so come Wednesday morning I will be on flight to Bangladesh - to volunteer as "Media Officer" at my dear Mina's NGO (in-the-thick-of-it-all.blogspot.com). And so blogs collide, along with lives - and Christmas will be amongst the cyclone relief effort in the south of Bangladesh ! And New Year will be on a plane between Dhaka, Quala Lumpa and Tokyo ! ! Wish me luck !

Perhaps as a PS to this rather ridiculously factual and rambling blog - I apologize in advance for my lack of Christmas celebrating this year. I have bought no presents, no cards, no nothing. In non-religious Japan, despite the Christmas lights the day itself is such a nonevent that it is hard to think of Christmas as real. My last few weeks seem to have got taken over with hunting down visas for Bangladesh, and being a Muslim country I am unsure as to how celebrations will occur... needless to say, particularly to all you who read my blog - I hope you have a wonderful holiday. The absence of cards or presents to you says nothing of how much I think of you all - but rather to the relativity of Christmas spirits, and my reluctance to buy into Christmas as purely commercial. When I see you all again, I will knock you down with hugs and paint you with all of the love of the Christmas season - whenever that will be. And if you don't celebrate Christmas, then I will bring you the spirit of New Year and new beginnings. Much love from this frosty December night. b

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home