random, reckless reds
I am dizzy and bursting for the loo. My feet are curled up under me and my back cramped in the position I have been sitting in for the past 5 and a half hours, huddled over my computer. I have a grin across my face that stretches from ear to ear.
Last weekend led to a whistle stop tour to Kyoto and Cobe - returning for Monday's class within two minutes of its 9 o'clock start, fresh from the train and a 4am wake-up call. So, I promised myself this weekend was to be set aside for all the studying I should have been doing last weekend when I was watching 8 hours of Kendo competition and frolicking in the reds of the Autumn leaves of Kyoto. This weekend has however been an exercise in cramming as much as possible into as small a period of time as possible, with as little sleep as possible. Pottery making in Harajuko (the gothic lolita district of town), an extremely posh opening celebration for a japanese version of wedgewood's new Italian studio. I arrived with fingers still caked in pottery clay, completely unaware that the 'exhibition' a friend had invited me to as she thought I might enjoy it, was in fact a black cocktail dress kind of 'event'. Being full of incredibly well behaved japanese dignitiries however had the advantage that out of politeness everybody treated me as respectfully as if I had been dripping in diamonds and dressed to the teeth. A rather ridiculous Earthquake safety training day, that made me feel more apprehensive about my own and everybody in Tokyo's ability to survive any kind of emergency situation than it alaid any fears. Next came the Scottish Caleidh at Waesda University, followed by the all night extravaganza of pancakes and sweet potatoes that ended at the world's largest fish market and sushi for breakfast at 7am saturday morning. This fitted neatly into the randomness of my first japanese rock concert, where I danced along with 10,000 or so screaming fans to a band I've never heard of, felt completely puzzled by group behaviour of the japanese variety, yet again for the umpteenth time since arriving.
In amongst that I have also broken into my bike, having accidently thrown away the keys - don't even ask. Had my bike confiscated by the police, for illegal parking, again don't ask. And spoken for the past five and a half hours with three of my absolutely favourite people in the world. Who could have asked for a better weekend?
Although now, as I sit amongst my papers and exercises for tomorrows test and realise that it is coming up to 2am and yet again I'll be leaving the house at 7 for the weekly grind there is just the tiniest, smallest part of me that wonders if it was the smartest idea I've ever had. Just keep your fingerscrossed that I pass my test tomorrow.

1 Comments:
Hope your test went well, Beckita! What an amazing life you have there and how amazingly you manage to fill every minute of it with beauty and experience.
It is wonderful to be able to follow you through the pain and the joy, the disappointments and the surprises, the tests and the trips and it is always a pleasant and dreamy escape from ones own little life.
Thank you for sharing yours with us!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home